Min menu


Witness to the American massacre: The dead fell one by one into the water


Witness to the American massacre:

The dead fell one by one into the water

The United States Marines descended from the sky on the village of Mai Lai and, when they found no fighters in front of them, opened fire on women, children and the elderly and killed 504 people.

This happened on March 16

1968 :

  • when soldiers from the Charlie Company of
  • the 20th Infantry Regiment's 1st Battalion,
  • the United States Army stormed and completely destroyed
  • the village of Mai Lai in the Vietnamese town of Sung Mai.

Hundreds of Vietnamese were killed in that

famous massacre after many were brutally tortured, while girls and women were raped.

As is customary :

Americans initially denied crime after its details went viral

and later completely forgot about polishing their images

with preaching :

mentoring and talking about justice, human principles and democracy.

In the village of Mai Lai, American soldiers did not find weapons or ammunition, but among their residents they did not find men capable of carrying weapons.

The bloody revenge operation began that day around 5:30 a.m.

After artillery shelling :

soldiers from the Charlie Company were landed in amphibious attack helicopters on the village's western fringes and immediately opened fire on peasants working in rice fields.

While storming the peaceful village of Mai Lai

American soldiers marched down the driveways throwing their grenades at the windows and doors of their huts. Some residents were killed immediately

while others were led out of the village and into desolate lands they shot.

The Army Historical Foundation of the United States on

"Honoring the American Soldier by Preserving the History and Heritage of the United States Army" lists the details of that massacre by saying, "Early in the morning of March 16, 1968, Lieutenant Cali and his platoon were flown by helicopter to Mai Lai, a sub-village in the town of Song Main Kwang Ngai province of the Republic am."

The American :

Foundation's website continues to recount the events:

Imagine Callie and his men's surprise when they entered My Lai without facing any fire. There were no mines or traps set up.

There was no need to call in 

rms mortars or fire from artillery units for direct support.

Soldiers did not find the Lift Kong fighters.

The only people who met Cali's soldiers were unarmed men, women, children and infants. villagers were found in their homes having breakfast ready to start their daily business ".

This "charity" account of the reputation of the U.S.

military states that American soldiers were expecting to engage in

this village with the FT Kong fighters.

When they did not find the shooters

they shot at the villagers, while others shot at cattle, pigs, chickens and ducks.

The Foundation states that the US infantry company led by Cali

and Medlow killed at least 300 civilians between 07:00 and 11:00 on 16 March 1968.

Some witnesses later reported (huge holes in bodies

shooting on their limbs and bursting heads). Those identified as having killed villagers (along with Cali and Medlow) include Sergeant Charles Hutto and David Mitchell ".

This American account also indicated that a lieutenant named Hugh Thompson was flying a helicopter on an area surveillance mission at tree altitude

that 150 people were killed in a ditch near that village

that he landed his plane, tried to stop the massacre and almost exchanged fire with a lieutenant named Stephen Brooks, who was driving a group of soldiers.

Along with the rest

we were taken to a trench of water

our neighbors were with us, and we were counting dozens.

On the way :

  • soldiers screamed as they shot, beat us with rifle butts and legs
  • and sometimes fired. Parents lined up along the edge of
  • the canal and were forced to turn their backs

kneel and raise their hands. We didn't anticipate killing anyone. We stabbed them completely and didn't fight back! But they opened fire. the dead fell into water one by one ".

This elderly lady recounts that

her father was killed in front of her eyes and that the scene still does not disperse her

stating American soldiers on that trench's edge quickly shot my father in the head

I couldn't believe what I saw! his brain was all white while everything else was red .

This survivor of the massacre

stayed in the trench with corpses for several hours after the Americans left. It remained rigid between about 70 dead and the horror paralysed its movement.

Americans acknowledged a year later that more than 500 people

had been massacred in the village of Mai Lai

including girls and women who had been raped and maimed before being killed.

U.S. Army officers made significant efforts to cover up the massacre for a year before it was uncovered by journalist Seymour Yresh on November 12, 1969.

Notably :

Colin was the first US Secretary of State under President George Bush Jr.

among the investigators of that massacre after it was exposed

and was then a major

while US reports say that Colin's first experience of

falsifying evidence began since that terrible incident.