Min menu

Pages

A lady loses her four limbs after a tilapia meal.

 


A lady loses

her four limbs after a tilapia meal.


An American woman lost her four limbs after eating an undercooked fish meal

in a tragic incident that began to turn her hands and feet black.


According to details

reported by the British newspaper Mirror

Laura Barajas of California contracted a bacterial infection

due to the failure to cook tilapia

type fish after purchasing it from a local market late in July.



On Thursday :

the 40-year-old was forced to undergo amputation in order to save her life

after spending about a month and a half in hospital battling the deadly infection.


Laura :

a mother of a 6-year-old boy

cooked the fish herself and ate it

according to a friend who said she "almost lost her life" because of the accident.


Her friend Anna Messina told local media:

It was heavy on all of us. It's terrible.

This could have happened to any of us. almost lost her life .


Anna explained that her friend had been placed in a medically induced coma

adding:

Her fingers

feet and lower lip were black. suffered complete sepsis and kidney failure .



Doctors say Laura's infection

  • was likely caused by the bacterium Fibrio Volnivicas
  • which lives in aquatic environments, recently warned
  • by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.


The Centers for :

Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

says that between 150 and 200 infections are reported each year

and one in every 5 is infected

which most seriously affects immunocompromised people.


Infectious diseases expert Natasha Spotswood said:

You can get these bacteria by eating something contaminated with them

or by exposing a wound or tattoo to the water you spread.


She added :

Everyone has to take reasonable precautions.

If you have a wound avoid snorkelling in the water until it heals well.

If you are immunocompromised, be careful to monitor these things

and avoid activities and undercooked foods. "